For many homeowners in the North Shore area, the kitchen is the most important room of the house! Not only is it a place to cook, but the kitchen is a room for socializing, entertaining, dining, and enjoying quality time with family and friends. So why do so many people settle for a kitchen they don’t truly love?
In today’s post, we’ll talk about kitchen remodeling. In our experience, a great kitchen remodel can make your home feel brand new again. You’ll love spending time in your kitchen and showing it off to your friends! Keep reading to learn more about how to plan a kitchen remodel for your North Shore home.
Set Goals For Your Kitchen Remodel
Before you start making decisions, picking appliances, and choosing colors, you must start your kitchen remodel by setting goals. You need to start thinking about what you want to get out of your kitchen remodel.
When it comes to a kitchen remodel, your goals may include:
- Increasing the value of your home before listing it for sale
- Accommodating the needs of your growing family
- Adding storage, updating appliances, or making other functional improvements
- Making your home more accessible and enjoyable during your golden years
- Modernizing the look and feel of your kitchen while maintaining its classic North Shore charm
If you’re having trouble defining goals, a home remodeling contractor can talk to you about your options and help you set specific goals. The planning you do before your kitchen remodel starts will pay off and save you time, money, and frustration down the road.
Ask Yourself These Questions
When planning your North Shore kitchen remodel, these questions can help you prepare:
- How do you and your family use your kitchen? Do you cook together? Eat in your kitchen?
- Do you entertain or host summer dinner parties?
- What appliances are must-haves? Do you need a stand mixer, convection oven, or built-in grill?
- What materials do you love? Concrete counters? Tile floors? Natural hardwoods?
- Is technology part of your kitchen? Do you want a TV, computer, charging station for your tablets and phones?
- What luxuries do you love? Are you interested in a commercial range? Deep farmhouse-style sink?
- How much time can you make do without a kitchen? The more involved the project, the longer you might be without full access to your kitchen. Big projects can be split into several small “stages” if needed.
- What’s your budget? How will you pay for your remodel? Will you require financing? Start by talking to your bank or credit union?
- What’s your long-term plan? Will this be the only time you remodel your kitchen? Or do you plan on updating it again down the road?
Seek Out Inspiration Online
Once you’ve defined the goals for your project, start looking for kitchen remodeling inspiration online. There are so many great places to look and so many amazing projects to inspire you! A few of my favorite sites include:
When looking online at kitchen remodeling projects, take notes to help you remember what you liked and to help your home remodeling contractor. Take note of:
- Appliances you’re interested in
- Luxury features you’d like to see in your kitchen (induction cooktop, for example)
- Patterns and colors that might look great in your kitchen
- Design styles that work with the rest of your home
Combine a Deck & Kitchen Remodel
No North Shore home is complete without an incredible outdoor deck! Whether you love throwing dinner parties or just want to enjoy our beautiful summers with your family, you should think about combining your kitchen remodeling project with a full deck remodel.
When remodeling your deck and kitchen simultaneously, you can create an outdoor living space that blends seamlessly with your kitchen. Imagine being able to walk right out from your kitchen onto a custom deck with incredible outdoor seating!
Other popular options when remodeling your deck include:
- Outdoor cooking appliances and grills
- Jacuzzis and hot tubs
- Built in seating and stairs
- Covered seating
If you can imagine it, we can build it!
Create Your Kitchen Remodeling Plan
Remember that the inspiration you find online is only a guide to help you plan your North Shore kitchen remodeling project. Don’t get overly attached to specific features or appliances– they might be out of your budget or not feasible to add to your home.
Taking your inspiration, goals, and needs and creating a realistic kitchen remodeling plan is an important step! But it’s one you can’t do by yourself. Only an experienced kitchen remodeler can help.
How to Find a Remodeling, Design & Construction Team You Trust
Remodeling your kitchen is a very big project! It can quickly become complicated, complex, and overwhelming. Successfully completing a North Shore kitchen remodel requires managing tons of moving parts, including:
- Who will create the design and makes sure that it’s built properly?
- Which contractors are working when? How will you keep everyone on schedule?
- What if there’s a delay? Will it be possible to make up time during another phase of the build?
- How will you handle budget overruns? Do you know the best way to make hard decisions to keep from going over budget?
- Where will you procure materials? How can you know you’re getting a good price? And do you even know where to shop for quality building materials?
Managing a kitchen remodeling project is something that’s just too much for the average person.
So, what’s the best way to complete a kitchen remodeling project on-schedule and on-budget?
Work with an experienced kitchen remodeling team you trust!
As our name suggests, at Godfrey Design-Build, we specialize in design-build remodeling.That means we work with you throughout your entire remodeling project, from beginning to end. We start with an initial consultation and follow through until your kitchen remodel is complete! Our team manages all aspects of the project, including:
- Working with designers and architects
- Evaluating bids, hiring, scheduling, and managing contractors and subcontractors
- Acquiring lumber, appliances, cabinetry, counters and other materials
- Applying for all needed building permits
Most importantly, we remain available to you throughout your kitchen remodel. Our team will answer your questions, provide status updates, and solve any problems that crop up.
Our goal is to make your kitchen remodel one that is completely stress-free!
Contact Godfrey Design-Build today to learn more!